From artifacts of the Louise Jordan King Estate est. date 1957 source Newspaper in Mississippi.
What’s in the name “Jordan”
The Name Jordan is now found chiefly in Ireland’s Counties Galway and Mayo. Although it is also a common English name, few of the Irish Jordans are of English descent. It is spelled “MacSiurtain” in Gaelic and was adopted by one of the hibernicized Norman families, which acquired extensive territory in the west of Ireland after the invasion of 1172.
The Jordan sept were the first to be dubbed “Wild Irish,” in the 16th Century. One of the Jordans who was killed in a battle was described by an historian as “the strongest hand and the bravest heart of all the Jordans of his time.”
The present barony of Gallen in County Mayo, Ireland, has long been known as “MacJordan’s Country” and it is so described in the “Composition Book of Connacht”.
In England, the name can be traced to 1182, when a Robert Jurdan, as it was spelled then, was put on the Yorkshire records. From Yorkshire, the name became common in Cambridgeshire 40 years later. Here we find a John Jordan entered in the Fleet of Fines record dated 1220. Later the name appeared in the Sussex Subsidy Rolls of 1327.
The English Jordan name derived from the River Jordan, used as a Christian name by returning crusaders who brought back with them Jordan waters for the baptism of their children.
In 1652, a member of the Augustinian Order, Father Fulgentius Jordan was martyred for his beliefs. The traditional coat-of-arms borne by the Jordans has a silver background. In the center of this is what is known as a ‘fesse’, a horizontal band colored black. At the bottom of the shield is a black lion with the right foreleg off the ground.