The Jordan Family Foundation

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT – NEWSLETTERS CD AVAILABLE

June 6th, 2017

A new DVD/CD containing all Newsletters Issued by The Family Jordan,
The Family Jordan Foundation and Jordan Family Foundation has been
produced by Ralph Jordan, our Web Administrator, with assistance of
Alis D. Jordan and John H. Bell. It contains all Issues starting with
April 1990, and ending with Summer, July 2016. [Eighty Newsletters]!
It is available to Foundation Members for $25.00 plus $5.00 S&H. Price
is guaranteed thru November 2016. Limit: One Disk per member. Requests
along with Check should be sent to: Janice Stone, Jordan Family Foundation
Treasurer at: 15228 Taylor St. NE., Ham Lake, MN 55304. Sale Proceeds will
inure to the Jordan Family Foundation Scholarship Fund.
Questions may be directed to: Ralph L. Jordan ralijo87@gmail.com

SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS 2018

August 3rd, 2015

Application for Jordan Foundation Scholarships for the 2018 year is outlined
in the Scholarship pages of the Foundation Web Site: www.familyjordan.com.
Read all criteria in each section carefully as non-conforming applications will
be disqualified. Pay particular attention to the 2018 Essay Question in PART 5,
on page 6 of the Six Page Application. It will not be posted however until the August
2017 Board of Trustees has been held. In the interim, Questions may be directed to:
John Webster, Program Vice President, P. O. Box 240, Orr’s Island, Me. 04066 or by email
to: jwebster85@comcast.net.

X

JORDAN FAMILY ARCHIVES MOVED

February 6th, 2015

The Jordan Family archive was moved on November 20, 2014 to a new home within the Cape Elizabeth Historical Preservation Society. The town of Cape Elizabeth facilitated the move from the Thomas Memorial Library to the Cape Elizabeth Public Safety Building, AKA the Police Station.

The move was necessitated by the newly approved renovation to the Thomas Memorial Library.

Open on Thursday mornings from 9 AM to noon or by appointment the archive is at 325 Ocean House Road, Cape Elizabeth. Contact Norman Jordan or John Webster listed in the Foundation Link, contacts portion on this web site for more information.

THE GREAT ESCAPE – BERNARD JORDAN

October 19th, 2014

The Fall 2014 Newsletter carried carried an article on this 89 Year Old Veteran
and how he secretly escaped his Care Home in Essex England to attend the Normandy
[2014] D Day Festivities. Editor Sally Jackson noted the abbreviated article
from Sophia Jordan Knott of Worcestershire England, was carried in its entirety on
the internet. I visited the internet and found, not one, but several articles and
pictures covering the exploits of this outstanding Navy Veteran. Just type in your browser to view the articles and heroics of this Jordan cousin.

Recently found information from a 1960 Newspaper from Louise Jordan King

November 1st, 2013

From artifacts of the Louise Jordan King Estate  est. date 1957 source Newspaper in Mississippi.

                                            What’s in the name “Jordan”

The Name Jordan is now found chiefly in Ireland’s Counties Galway and Mayo. Although it is also a common English name, few of the Irish Jordans are of English descent. It is spelled “MacSiurtain” in Gaelic and was adopted by one of the hibernicized Norman families, which acquired extensive territory in the west of Ireland after the invasion of 1172.

The Jordan sept were the first to be dubbed “Wild Irish,” in the 16th Century. One of the Jordans who was killed in a battle was described by an historian as “the strongest hand and the bravest heart of all the Jordans of his time.”

The present barony of Gallen in County Mayo, Ireland, has long been known as “MacJordan’s Country” and it is so described in the “Composition Book of Connacht”.

In England, the name can be traced to 1182, when a Robert Jurdan, as it was spelled then, was put on the Yorkshire records. From Yorkshire, the name became common in Cambridgeshire 40 years later. Here we find a John Jordan entered in the Fleet of Fines record dated 1220. Later the name appeared in the Sussex Subsidy Rolls of 1327.

The English Jordan name derived from the River Jordan, used as a Christian name by returning crusaders who brought back with them Jordan waters for the baptism of their children.

In 1652, a member of the Augustinian Order, Father Fulgentius Jordan was martyred for his beliefs. The traditional coat-of-arms borne by the Jordans has a silver background. In the center of this is what is known as a ‘fesse’, a horizontal band colored black. At the bottom of the shield is a black lion with the right foreleg off the ground.

The Jordan Family Foundation